Hollywood Arts Council
Board of Trustees
Matthew Leum, Vice Chair
Senior Business Development Manager, Ciber
Rich Sarian, Vice Chair
Accounts Representative, The CrisCom Company
Patti Negri, Secretary
Founder/CEO, Brain Brew Entertainment
Steven P. Tronson, Treasurer
Vice President, Avison Young
Nyla Arslanian, President Emeritus
Editor, Discover Hollywood Magazine
Executive Director, Treasure Sales Manager
Nancy J Brown
Healthcare Executive, retired.
General Manager, Hollywood Palladium
Director of Public Affairs, Author Services, Inc.
Vice President, NAI Capital Real Estate
Chairman, Ricardo Montalban Foundation
Director, Operations (Administration & Finance) Zilkha Neurogenetic Institute Keck School of Medicine of USC
The Hollywood Arts Council was founded in 1978 as a grassroots membership organization open to all who believed that the arts and culture of Hollywood must play a role in the lives of residents and visitors. With more than 500 community-based members (individuals, businesses and organizations) and many successful projects, the Council has an impressive track record of service. As the only Arts Council in the city of Los Angeles, the Hollywood Arts Council offers a strong, independent voice for promoting a vibrant cultural community by empowering, facilitating and advocating for the arts. We are guided by the belief that the arts revitalize people as well as communities.
Through the years, the Hollywood Arts Council has initiated a number of programs and events that either promote or provide the arts to the community. Project SOAR and the Children’s Festival of the Arts are examples of two programs which provide services to the children of the community. Annual Charlie Awards, Arts Roundtable, Hollywood Arts Affairs, Pilgrimage Concerts and many more!
The Hollywood Arts Council is a registered nonprofit organization, recognized under the United States of America’s Internal Revenue Code section 501(c)(3). As such, we are eligible to receive tax-deductible contributions.
We are listed in Guidestar, the national database of nonprofit organizations. The Hollywood Arts Council is proud to hold the Guidestar Seal to assure our funders, donors, and supporters of our ongoing commitment to transparency. This is an excellent resource to view the Council’s most current form 990, which we file annually with the IRS. Guidestar is also a trusted resource for independent reviews of our organization.
If you have specific questions about the Council’s financials or if you are interested in discussing a cash or non-cash gift, please contact our office directly at (323) 462-2355.
Through the years, the Hollywood Arts Council has nurtured the arts and our community in a number of ways:
- 1978: Street Entertainment Project, featuring performers from saxophone players to sword swallowers along Hollywood Boulevard.
- 1979, 1981,1985: Hollywood “Theatour” Busloads of urban explorers tour legitimate theatres.
- 1983-1986: Jazz Concerts honor Harry “Sweets” Edison, Shelley Mann & Stan Getz.
- 1982-1994: Festive banners proclaiming Hollywood Is A Summer Festival of The Arts decorate Hollywood Boulevard each summer.
- 1985: An explosion of Council projects include a Noontime Concert Series, Hollywood Arts Fair, Senior’s Art Show, and Picture Hollywood Photo Exhibit.
- 1987: The Arts Council goes national and international! “Hollywood: A Town Remembered” video wins Houston Film Festival award and is placed in the Hollywood Time Capsule at 100th Birthday celebration.
- Picture Hollywood Photographic Exhibit travels to Biarritz, France.
- 1987-1996: Council and Hollywood Chamber of Commerce co-sponsor Hollywood Arts Affair art show at historic Crossroads of the World.
- 1991-1997: Annual Hollywood Bowl Arts Fair with L. A. Philharmonic Association.
- 1993: Holidays in Hollywood artists decorate boulevard windows for Christmas holiday.
- 1993: Armenian and Russian Artists Symposium provides much-needed information to immigrant artists.
- 1997: Discover Hollywood Cable TV Show highlights the good news in Hollywood.
- 1998-1999: Council’s CityWalk Arts Fair held at Universal CityWalk.
- 2000-2001: Council raises $40,000 for Barnsdall Art Park sign project; dedicated December 2011
- 1995-2001: Council champions Eloy Torrez “Legends of Cinema” mural project.
- 2002: Council sponsors “Hollywood Bound” Women Photographers International photo Exhibit at the Hollywood Library.
- 2001-2004: Council partners with Hollywood Beautification Team creating Hollywood Walk of Fame Night Gallery with support from Hollywood Historic Trust and the LA/CRA.
- 2005: Co-sponsor with City of Los Angeles of first International Music Conference
- 2007: Council secures Historic Landmark status for 1904 Orchard Gables Property
- 2007: Council restores You Are The Star mural with support from LA/CRA
- 1985-2006: Hollywood Entertainment Center, entertains 20,000 LA Marathon runners
- 1995-2006: Annual Pilgrimage Concert, at LA County’s John Anson Ford Amphitheatre raises funds for Council youth programs.
- 1996-2009: Arts Roundtable convenes quarterly to network area arts organizations.
- 1979-2011: Continually involved advocating arts in community planning issues and founding member of CRA Hollywood Art Design Advisory Panel (HADAP) (1992-2011).
- 1985-2013: Annual Children’s Festival of the Arts free art workshops and performance at Paramount Pictures the 2nd Sunday of August draws thousands each year.
- 1979-current: The Arts Council maintains directory of arts venues and maintains daily calendar of events at www.discoverhollywood.com and www.hollywoodartscouncil.org.
- 1996-current: Sponsors Project Soar After-School Arts Program, professionally-led performing and visual arts workshops at Hollywood area elementary schools; serving more than 1,500 children each year since 2001.
- 1986-current: The Annual Charlie Awards recognizes contributions to Hollywood and its arts
- 2012-current: Council inaugurates Spirit of Old Hollywood and Membership Salons
- 2014-2015: Council inaugurates “Stayin’ Live” live theatre retention initiative
Oscar P. Arslanian Chairman
Chris Barton Hudson Pacific Properties
Randall Baumberger Paramount Pictures
Carol Connors Singer/Song writer
David Green Nederlander Organization
Leron Gubler Hollywood Chamber of Commerce
Art Laboe Original Sound Records
Joan McCarthy Walt Disney Company
Anastasia Mann CEO & Founder, Comiche Group
Kate Linder Actress
George Pennacchio ABC7 TV
Maureen Schultz Capitol EMI
Connie Stevens Actress
Glenn Treibitz Hollywood Piano